On this date in 1814, an acre of land was donated by farmer George Blair for a new town square. (He also donated an additional adjoining 25 acres for the new county seat.)
He named his gift “Belleville,” which means “beautiful city” in French. There have been many significant events on the square, including speeches by two presidents and a nationally-renowned art festival. Things look very different 200 years later, but it’s still the heart of our town!